WELKAM LONG BLOG BLONG MI!....translation....Welcome to my Blog!

I have a Bucket List...even before "Bucket List" the movie was created I had a Bucket List. One of my Bucket List items has been joining the Peace Corps before I kick the bucket. So, 10 years ago I applied, was accepted and was moments away from departing before realizing that it wasn't meant to be because I had too many teeth in my mouth. Long story short, to join the Peace Corps you're obligated to extract your wisdom teeth if they're a hot mess, which mine were. I couldn't afford to extract them so after 3 months of crashing at my sister's apartment boo-wooing with disappointment I came to terms with the Universe and moved on.
I always knew I'd reapply, but wasn't sure when. So, one day in late 2008 when I realized I wasn't as happy with life as I once was I went online and reapplied. A year later on September 11, 2009 I boarded a plan in LAX with 41 strangers in route to Vanuatu-- a gorgeous South Pacific country consisting of 83 islands (that I never heard of before Peace Corps). Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a believer in the power of manifestation not to mention I'm a persistent little Boriqua and now here I am sitting in the Vanuatu Peace Corps Office fulfilling one of my dreams and living la vida "Ni-Van" on the other side of the globe. I hope you enjoy my stories and thanks for visiting. Please note the contents of this website are mine alone and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.


Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Onesua Presbyterian College - My Home & My Computer Lab




I arrived into my apartment on site on November 16, 2009. There wasn't much of a welcoming when i arrived. the deputy principal Graham Kalmar picked me up from Vila and dropped me off at Onesua Presbyterian College (OPC) 1-hour later. By this time the majority of the volunteers from my group 22 were at site and I'd heard about the village welcome parties and such. So when I arrived I sorta've expected the same...but NO GAT. Deputy dropped my shit in front of my door and basically said "peace! Good luck!" I was a little bummed and nervous because I was officially on my own and since I had no welcoming I knew no one.



My hammock for hanging out! & My apartment with its color puke orange doors.


My bathroom/shower.

In November all the students at OPC were taking final exams. The teachers were hella busy and I had little to nothing to do. So I did what i do best when bored or stressed --I cleaned the shit out of my apartment and later tackled my computer lab office and computer lab. My apartment is basically a studio apartment and was fairly clean when I moved in but where I lacked a welcoming from my peers the Ni-Van critters made up for it. I had centipedes come out of the woodwork, Jurassic Park-sized roaches flying around shouting "wassup!", spiders were hanging out waving at me as I unpacked and ants were busy relocating themselves to a more discreet area.



My Year 9 students hard at work.

My computer office was a storage room before I arrived it took me about 2 days to empty everything out, paint and reorganize. Hunter (my Ni-Van Counterpart) helped me with the painting. It's a soothing yellow.

My Counterpart, Hunter Haggia and our office.

Thanks to one of our on-campus Handyman, Kalrick, the computer lab was not in bad shape. He built the table in a shape of a horseshoe, stained them, and connected all the electrical wires and cables. We now have 28 computers that occassionally break down because of the elements (humidity, heat, salt air), but we're proud of our Lab.

We currently have approxmately 300 students enrolled in our classes both boys and girls ranging from age 14 - 20. The kids are what keep me going most times esp. after having a bad day or week. I'm teaching them the basic functions of a computer which includes all the MS Programs (Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint) and Internet research and email. Since Feb 2010 they have gone from being afraid of touching the mouse and keyboard so confident that some swear they know it all. It kills me! They are a trip! I adore my kids. Even the grown ones that I've had to shame or kick out of my class.

1 comment: