WELKAM LONG BLOG BLONG MI!....translation....Welcome to my Blog!

I have a Bucket List...even before "Bucket List" the movie was created I had a Bucket List. One of my Bucket List items has been joining the Peace Corps before I kick the bucket. So, 10 years ago I applied, was accepted and was moments away from departing before realizing that it wasn't meant to be because I had too many teeth in my mouth. Long story short, to join the Peace Corps you're obligated to extract your wisdom teeth if they're a hot mess, which mine were. I couldn't afford to extract them so after 3 months of crashing at my sister's apartment boo-wooing with disappointment I came to terms with the Universe and moved on.
I always knew I'd reapply, but wasn't sure when. So, one day in late 2008 when I realized I wasn't as happy with life as I once was I went online and reapplied. A year later on September 11, 2009 I boarded a plan in LAX with 41 strangers in route to Vanuatu-- a gorgeous South Pacific country consisting of 83 islands (that I never heard of before Peace Corps). Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a believer in the power of manifestation not to mention I'm a persistent little Boriqua and now here I am sitting in the Vanuatu Peace Corps Office fulfilling one of my dreams and living la vida "Ni-Van" on the other side of the globe. I hope you enjoy my stories and thanks for visiting. Please note the contents of this website are mine alone and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.


Monday, July 26, 2010

Fast Forward to 10 months later...July 2010
















Yes, I've procrastinated in building my blog because I'm lazy. That said, I will try my best to document the last 10 months I've lived in Vanuatu, but will work backwards chronologically because my brain is fried and it will hurt me too much to think of all that I've experienced since Sept 2009. It may not seem too logical but my brain swears it will be easier to write down my experiences backwards. Here we go....

This week is the 30th Anniversary celebration for Vanuatu's Independence. Basically, their 4th of July. The entire week is "fulap" (full up) of festivities throughout the capital of Port Vila. I just received the program of all the events and reading it was overwhelming. I want to do everything with the locals, but short of cloning myself there's no way I can participate in everything. So, last night my girlfriends and I began the week by riding to Courtney's site in Pango (about 10 min drive from Vila). We made some homemade sushi (courtesy of Laura and her friend from the States Melissa), partook in some red libations and later walked to Pango field to crash a dance party. We had a blast!

At first only the pikininis (kids) were dancing, but it only took a few minutes before all of us "white misses" busted out in our best moves. Hali (PCV/women Tanna) was a trip! In a matter of 15 minutes we were the center of attention and soon after the little girls warmed up to us and joined in on the fun along with a few sprinkles of Mamas.

I just want to say, with the exception of when I hang out with my BFF Michelle or my big sister Jocy, I've not laughed so hard in my life. This is what Peace Corps is all about. Coming out of your shell, letting loose and enjoying a moment of laughter and organic fun with some of the best people I've been blessed to meet. No drama, no self-consciousness...as Goddess Tomiko would say we let our inner child out of the closet. I found myself playing "London Bridge" and "Ring Around the Rosie" with little Ni-Van girls. It was indescribable. I'm getting over a cold and have pretty much lost my voice. Laughing out loud last night did not help my recovery, but I would risk my voice any day if it means my spirit is uplifted.

Next up, on Friday (July 30), we'll visit Parliament Park (the "White House" section of Vanuatu) to watch some custom dancing, picnic, & kaekae (eat) some island kaekae (food). WHOOHOOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment