WELKAM LONG BLOG BLONG MI!....translation....Welcome to my Blog!

I have a Bucket List...even before "Bucket List" the movie was created I had a Bucket List. One of my Bucket List items has been joining the Peace Corps before I kick the bucket. So, 10 years ago I applied, was accepted and was moments away from departing before realizing that it wasn't meant to be because I had too many teeth in my mouth. Long story short, to join the Peace Corps you're obligated to extract your wisdom teeth if they're a hot mess, which mine were. I couldn't afford to extract them so after 3 months of crashing at my sister's apartment boo-wooing with disappointment I came to terms with the Universe and moved on.
I always knew I'd reapply, but wasn't sure when. So, one day in late 2008 when I realized I wasn't as happy with life as I once was I went online and reapplied. A year later on September 11, 2009 I boarded a plan in LAX with 41 strangers in route to Vanuatu-- a gorgeous South Pacific country consisting of 83 islands (that I never heard of before Peace Corps). Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a believer in the power of manifestation not to mention I'm a persistent little Boriqua and now here I am sitting in the Vanuatu Peace Corps Office fulfilling one of my dreams and living la vida "Ni-Van" on the other side of the globe. I hope you enjoy my stories and thanks for visiting. Please note the contents of this website are mine alone and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.


Sunday, August 1, 2010

Vanuatu - Images From Various Islands and Villages in Efate



Vanuatu consists of 82 islands and each one is distinct. I live in North Efate the mainland with gorgeous coastal regions, friendly villagers, our first tar-sealed Ring Road (main road around the entire island) and endless gardens with fruits and vegetables. Capturing the beauty of Efate is not difficult to do because, with the exception of the capital of Efate Port Vila, the rest of the country is relatively untainted by tourism or the Westernization that we see in most foreign countries. The images below are just a few of the places I've been bless to see with my own eyes. Enjoy a Touch of Vanuatu!

First up NGUNA Island. An island North of Efate. The photos below were taken on the top of a dormant volcano that is now used to hike and grow gardens. The view from on top is breathless on a clear day.



Next up, the island of EFATE. My home until November 2011.


Afta we have PENTACOST....


Than we have MALAKULA the first island I visited after Efate for my "wokaboat" aka walk-about visiting mid-service volunteers. And where I discovered the first blender! Fresh mango margaritas here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment