WELKAM LONG BLOG BLONG MI!....translation....Welcome to my Blog!

I have a Bucket List...even before "Bucket List" the movie was created I had a Bucket List. One of my Bucket List items has been joining the Peace Corps before I kick the bucket. So, 10 years ago I applied, was accepted and was moments away from departing before realizing that it wasn't meant to be because I had too many teeth in my mouth. Long story short, to join the Peace Corps you're obligated to extract your wisdom teeth if they're a hot mess, which mine were. I couldn't afford to extract them so after 3 months of crashing at my sister's apartment boo-wooing with disappointment I came to terms with the Universe and moved on.
I always knew I'd reapply, but wasn't sure when. So, one day in late 2008 when I realized I wasn't as happy with life as I once was I went online and reapplied. A year later on September 11, 2009 I boarded a plan in LAX with 41 strangers in route to Vanuatu-- a gorgeous South Pacific country consisting of 83 islands (that I never heard of before Peace Corps). Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a believer in the power of manifestation not to mention I'm a persistent little Boriqua and now here I am sitting in the Vanuatu Peace Corps Office fulfilling one of my dreams and living la vida "Ni-Van" on the other side of the globe. I hope you enjoy my stories and thanks for visiting. Please note the contents of this website are mine alone and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.


Saturday, August 21, 2010

Random Thoughts From the Past 11 months.

Some random thoughts from my in a journal...

  • During the first few months of my working with my counterpart at site i found myself having a conversation with him about evolution and how interesting it is to find similarities between cultures/people of different countries. For example, the custom culture of Vanuatu and its rituals are similar to those that my family have practiced and our foods and dishes are also similar. So while in discussion I mentioned that some scientists theorize that back in the day our continents were all one massive land mass not separated by oceans and that why some similarities between people exists. When I said this he looked at me like I just told him I was from Mars. Apparently, he's never heard of such a theory and it ludicrous. I found it funny how quickly he was to disbelieve instead of considering the idea. I even when on to say that if you look at a world map continents look like they would fit perfectly together like a jigsaw puzzle. My explanations were in vain. However, this is the same person who is ok with believing that a man dying in the middle of his garden from a heart attack really died from black magic. Awo!
  • Happiness is riding int he back of a pick-up truck with the wind and rain in your face. Unless the truck driver speeds up in which case happiness is ducking your ass behind the back window cause rain pelleting at your face hurts like hell.
  • Happiness is seeing my little sister at a community event wearing the Peace Corps T-shirt I gave her for xmas with such pride.
  • Sitting in a staff meeting listening to a colleague speak while she "digs for gold"in her nose is really distracting.
  • Was speaking with a student and he began walking away from me as I was speaking because he was embarrassed that he was the center of attention. Initial reaction was anger. Afta I laughed at what a dummy he was.
  • It's interesting to find out that countries like Australia, New Zealand and China give $$ to the people of Vanuatu to develop projects, but yet they don't teach them how to manage it. No skill in financial management = no forward movement as a country.
  • Happiness is spending 4 hours in the back of a mango truck with a good friend and several Ni-Van Mamas selling the mangos allow several villages. It was longest time/distance from my site to town, but well worth it.
  • During Term 1 I realized that the student roster of names had spelling errors for many students. Then I realized they are not really typos its that both students and parents choose to change the spelling of their name regularly. Kranki!
  • Only in Vanuatu would I teach a class while my dog, Spanky, sits at my feet along with his buddies Rusty and Boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment